Monday, April 26, 2010

Video Excerpts from NY State Senator Bill Perkins Hearing On Charter Schools

As the BloomKlein Cabal proceeds to ram as many charter schools into Black and Latino community schools, there is mounting opposition growing not only from parents, students and educators in all the invaded noncharter schools, but mounting opposition is also growing among charter school parents. They are slowly but surely recognizing the hype they have been hoodwinked into believing. You will see some of this in these video excerpts from the 22 April 2010 hearing. 

The commentary that introduces each of the four video excerpts was written by education activist Norm Scott. These video excerpts were provided by Norma Scott
----------

Lydia Bellahcene, Parent PS 15K. Lydia was there all day - from even before I arrived at 10- with her young child, who just may be the best behaved child I have ever seen in my life. Lydia makes an awesome presentation here. I've gotten to know her through PAVE and she never ceases to amaze me. That the actions of BloomKlein have led to activating her and people like her is a sign of their ultimate failure.


-------------------

Khem Irby, Parent District 13, Brooklyn- another awesome parent advocate. Khem is always there for everyone. She makes a statement for Leonie and for herself.


---------------------
Sonia Hampton, Parent PS/MS 149, Harlem. This is the first time I've seen Sonia and my mouth fell open at her testimony. I wanted her to go on forever.


--------------------------
Bill Hargraves and Akinlabi Mackall do a lot of community organizing in a number of spheres including the Coalition for Public Education, which has been exploring opportunities to work together with GEM.


Commentary from Norm Scott: 
These parent and community voices have been so strong and it's been a pleasure getting to know them over the past year. Ed Notes has often been looked at as a voice for teachers. But since I began teaching I had the utmost respect for many of the parents I met. I can honestly say I had fantastic relationships with the parents of the kids in my class. I worked very hard at it. The first day of school I gave them my phone number (see KIPP, we did it 40 years before you). That built trust and helped enormously, though they rarely called. Kids were very rarely able to divide me from their parents or use them against me. It had a big impact on their behavior and created an extremely positive climate for all of us. Teachers must find ways to create links to parents, both educationally and politically. Without a joint alliance, the forces of BloomKlein and neoliberalism, which has a basic aim of sowing divisions, win out.

I started a new you tube channel - ednotesonline - and future videos will no longer be listed under norscot2, though you can still access the 77 videos I already posted there. Other videos will be posted at the GEMNYC you tube channel.

If traffic gets too heavy for all these videos and slows up the blog, let me know and I will pull them and leave just the links to you tube.

All videos must be 10 minutes so I had to do some trimming to get them in. So if you see yourself and a bit is missing that is why.

Coming in next batches: Magnificent Mona and cohort charter school parents rake over charter school operators, followed by the John White interrogation on how charter schools get parent info.

No comments:

Post a Comment