How To Get Students Interested In STEM Education
STEM Education and Jobs
- The US ranks 47th in Math and Science Education quality (vs. 28th in overall educational system quality).
- The percentage of US students performing at or above the ‘basic’ level of science decreases as students got older.
- Only 26% of US high school seniors are considered ‘proficient’ in math.
- More than 70% of future stem jobs will be in computing.
- Only 9 states require computer science classes as a graduation requirement.
- Only 19% of college graduates have degrees in STEM fields.
- 78% of high school graduates don’t meet the standard levels for at least one entry level STEM class.
- Yet there are more than 37.M unfilled STEM jobs, slated to rise to 8.6M by 2018.